Education and Research:
Testing Hypotheses (EARTH) Teacher Workshop
Honolulu, Hawaiʻi | July 10-14, 2023
WHY ATTEND THE EARTH 2023 WORKSHOP?
Teachers involved in this EARTH workshop will:
- Cultivate relationships with local researchers and like-minded educators that can lead to future collaborations
- Explore available resources from supporting organizations, such as PICASC and MBARI, and develop institutional connections that can aid in future lessons
- Participate in field experiences at institutions that highlight local culture, watershed management, and coastal and marine research.
- Receive a Certificate of Participation that provides evidence of 40 hours of professional development that can be used toward continuing education or certificate renewal
- Develop new curriculum resources that use real science and authentic data to teach science content and process and address their needs and the needs of their students
- Complete the online EARTH Workshop Application form (this will be linked soon) and submit any additional resources as appropriate. Be sure your answers to the questions clearly express your experience, background, and/or interest in the topic of using real-time data in your educational environment. Any supporting materials can be emailed to email@example.com.
- Before attending the EARTH Workshop, participants are required to try out one (or more) EARTH lesson in your classroom or institution, complete the online feedback rubric, and be prepared to discuss your experience teaching the lesson and present any adaptations, modifications, or extensions that were made for your audience. We are especially interested in feedback from our more recent lessons (such as the ones developed at the 2022 or 2018 workshops) so we can update, revise, and publish them. We understand that it’s not always possible to schedule the activity before the application deadline, so if you are unable to complete a lesson before submitting your application, please indicate which lesson you will be using and ensure that you complete it by the workshop.
Returning teachers who have previously participated in an EARTH Workshop can make their application stronger by demonstrating a commitment to mentoring colleagues (hosting an in-service or EARTH Satellite workshop in your area), enhancing the EARTH resources (testing out Lessons in Development and providing extensive feedback or new resources to enrich our website), or disseminating EARTH content (presenting about EARTH at a meeting or conference). Please contact us if you have any questions about the application process.